The Hostess

Recipes, etiquette tips, party log.

Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Chunks of love

Have you heard of this machine called the crockpot? I haven't! Nevertheless, my obese friend "A" has given me a new recipe: Crockpot Chicken Cordon Bleu Rolls. Picture it: a bunch of chicken breasts, wrapped in swiss cheese and prosciutto. (I don't know what that is, so I plan to wrap mine in some of the fresher balonies.)

A note for the heftier ladies out there: "A" suggests using a whole can of cream of mushroom soup, instead of the half-can the recipe originally called for. (As I say, "A" is obese and struggles to find happiness. More than thrice I have found her down at the county fairgrounds, seeking the happiness only a toothless carny and an apple fritter can give a woman of her size...)

A's Crockpot Chicken Cordon Bleu Rolls
6 chicken breasts (pounded by chubby hands to 1/4-inch think.
6 slices prosciutto
6 thin slices Swiss cheese
salt, pepper
Can of cream of mushroom soup
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup white wine.

Place one slice prosciutto and one slice cheese on each chicken breast. Roll and secure with a toothpick. (Note: Do not use a bobby pin.) Season each with salt and pepper ("A" also suggests adding Thyme, but I think she's just trying to sound thin.)Put the whole lot in the crockpot. Whisk together soup, milk and wine and pour over the chicken rolls. Cover, cook on low 4-6 hours or high 3-4 hours.