The Hostess

Recipes, etiquette tips, party log.

Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Gladys to the rescue

My dear friend K.S. has suffered from leg dandruff for years. As a Christian woman, it is especially embarrassing for her. (She wouldn't be caught dead in trousers, you know. She feels pants are the skirt of the Devil.) Consequently, poor K.S. has spent many a warm afternoon wearing knee socks at church. Her self-esteem couldn't be lower. You see, in college, she was known as Howler Monkey and Shit Breath, but those were for different reasons.

Still...

I mention K.S.'s leg dandruff for the following reason. I make my own mayonnaise. It's quite a treat for anyone willing to go the extra mile for a good potato salad or a special guest. When K.S. comes to lunch at my house, I make sure to let her know she's worth the effort...

2 egg yolks
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
1 cup peanut oil

Whisk the egg yolks together with the mustard. Pour the oil in slowly, whisking the whole time. The result should look like mayonnaise, just not as white.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home