The Hostess

Recipes, etiquette tips, party log.

Sunday, January 21, 2007

Tears and Tacos

When my first husband died, I was devastated. When he later divorced me, I felt even worse. You see, it turns out divorcing someone from the grave is possible with a good lawyer. (I ended up using my cousin, Digger Shook. You can imagine...)
Anyway, one trip to Mexico later and I was single again.
There I was, alone in Tijuana with my life savings inside my handbag. That's when I met him....

Ron Zartman, owner of the El Gato Blanco Cafe, was everything my second husband wasn't -- tall, handsome and a with a bulge in his pants the size of my mother's handbag! (Big.) Sure, he turned out to be a scoundrel, but he gave me this recipe for guacamole and a ride back to Tempe. More about him later....

Zartman's Famous "Guac"
4 avocados
3 tbs. lemon juice
10 dashes of Tabasco
1/2 cup diced red onion
1 garlic clove, smashed
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. black pepper
1 tomato (seeded and diced)

Slice and cut the avocados into a "chutney-type" consistency. Add lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper. Toss. Throw in the rest of the ingredients like a madcap and toss romantically. Serve with handsome blue tortilla chips.

3 Comments:

Blogger The Designer said...

Good 'ole Zartman. The best pickpocket north of the Amazon. I bet you were surprised to find that bulge in his pants WAS your mother's handbag. And what a cook! His guac nursed me back from the brink of death many a time. Viva el hombre con tres manos!

January 22, 2007 at 9:02 AM  
Blogger The hostess said...

Dear Desi, As you are familiar with Zartman's antics, I won't have to tell you that he robbed me blind! He stole my wallet, my Bible AND my heart. Love, Gladys.

January 22, 2007 at 11:12 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ahhh, I remember those days, those days of salad and fruit punch. The wind blowing through my snout hairs. The smell of the landfill, the screeching of the gulls (and the girls, right Maryellen?) Ha!

February 8, 2007 at 6:48 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home