The Hostess

Recipes, etiquette tips, party log.

Wednesday, May 2, 2007

A good egg

As a rule, I don't eat hard-boiled eggs. My third husband (in prison) can attest to this. Eggs bloat me and leave me tossing and turning all night, sending anyone who shares my bed running for the couch.

Therefore, I never include eggs in my salad nicoise. Why? Because two bites of an egg and the natural gas will send me half way to the moon by midnight!

This is why I am rarely invited to parties.

In my salad nicoise, I include tuna (which just so happens to also have been my nickname at teachers' college), olives, red peppers, green beans, scallions and a homemade dressing that will knock your socks off.

I offered this dressing to Miss Massengill once -- this was before my house tragically burned to the ground -- and, although she was offended by its tartness, she managed to grace me with a toothless grin. (Miss Massengill spent a small amount of time at a Mexican prison during the '80s. I won't go into it. But she lost all of her teeth -- and her heart -- while she was there.)

Salad Nicoise dressing
1/8 tsp of salt and pepper.
1/4 tsp prepared mustard.
splortch of lemon juice.
splortch of olive oil.
Whisk and pour over salad.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

finally -- a dish I can take to the church social. Though, as you know, I WON"T be eating. Not after last time. No, not after last time.

May 8, 2007 at 10:50 AM  
Blogger Fisher S. Johnston: said...

Gladys, thank God you're back. I need an alcohol-free recipe for a gimlet. (Guess who's won the heart of every guy down at those anonymous meetings in the church basement every Thursday night?)

June 7, 2007 at 5:31 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home